Thursday, January 21, 2010

We Do Like To Shake Things Up.....

But, this wasn't what we had in mind!  Mother Nature showed her powers this evening in Canton.  A little after 5pm, a tornado touched down at I-20 and Hwy 19.  This is a mere 2/10 of a mile from our shoppe.
  It's been all over the news, we counted 5 news helicopters above.  But the coverage on the news didn't come close to reflecting what my friends/customers, Jessica and her mom, captured in their photos.


 They took cover in the Chevron when they saw the tornado.  When it was all over, the Chevron was actually the hardest hit, thankfully they had taken cover in a freezer and everyone was okay. 


I've recieved dozens of emails tonight from sweet friends, concerned about our safety.  Thank you so much for your concern and prayers.  We are all okay, the shoppe was untouched, and as far as I know at the time of this writing, there were no serious injuries.  As you look at the photos, you will see just how miraculous that last sentence is.

Old Glory is still flying though.

Several large power lines had fallen across Interstate 20 and it was closed both directions for several hours.  Traffic stretched as far as the eye could see.
 
I'm so thankful this did not occur during First Monday weekend, it could have been far worse with thousands of people visiting for the show.

Several homes not far from our location were hit hard, we've heard that tornados may have also touched down in Sulpher Springs and Athens....I pray that everyone is safe.  It's been a bumpy ride in our neck of the woods tonight.

Thanks again for thinking of us.





18 comments:

Wanda @ Just Vintage said...

Wow! Thank God there were no serious injuries. These things can go badly so fast. Well, I mean, they're never good. Only OK in the middle of a dead field. One with no animals, crops, barns or anything. But I'm glad they got pictures. Now they'll have something to show when they tell their amazing story.

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

Laurie, so good to hear no one was hurt and thanks for letting me know too on email. I am sorry to see all that was damaged, but at least everyone was safe.

vintage girl at heart said...

Very scary..glad that everyone is okay!

Cindy said...

Praise God for everybody's safety. Buildings can be replaced.Our family and friends are precious and we don't want to loose them!!I'm afraid this is just the beginning of a rough spring.This is just too early in the season for tornadoes.

Cindy

Karen said...

Oh, my goodness! I haven't had the news on yet. Terrible devastation. I hope no one was hurt.
Karen
Ladybug Creek

Elsie said...

LaurieAnna~ I am so glad yall are
all o.k. I had e-mailed Tina to find out about everyone. WOW~ those
pics sure tell what happened. It
really was bad there and I am so
glad it wasn't on Canton Trade Days
weekend. I worried about all of
the work yall have put into your
5th Place Cottage as well as the
shop. Thank God everyone and everything is all right.:O)

Tracy said...

I saw the coverage on the Weather Channel last night, I thought of you, glad to hear you're ok.

Tracy :-)

Cathy Cobblestone said...

So glad you all made it through with no injuries or damages. I hate it for those who do have to pick up the pieces. We never know do we - life can change in an instant. Stay safe and so glad you are all o.k. Blessings, Cathy

Mindy said...

Whew! I am so glad to hear that you and the shop are hunky dory. Those pictures do tell a story. I can't tell you how touched I am by the American flag waving in teh midst of the ruin. Hugs! ~Mindy

stefanie said...

I am so glad everyone was ok...that is the scariest thing I have ever seen.

joysong said...

Oh my goodness! Glad you and your shoppe are safe...I'm new to your blog and am enjoying it very much1
Blessings!

Mz V said...

You were the first thing I thought when I saw the news about Canton's storm. I was SO relieved to learn that you're okay. I'm glad to know that your store didn't suffer any damage. Thanks being offered up.
Vickie White- Sherman, TX

Michelle Palmer said...

Love Old Glory & LOVE that all are safe~
Wishing you the best...
Michelle

Attic Rat said...

Yikes! I am so glad that the Chevron station didn't get picked up and plopped on some mean witch!

I hope Toto is okay and glad Jessica and her Mom are okay. That must have been SO scary!

- Teresa

Darla said...

There was a hedge of protection there!! We have had crazy weather here this morning in North Florida.

Tanna said...

So glad to hear all is well! That was some scary weather! Whew!

Dina said...

I was hoping your shop and cute cottage were not harmed in the tornado. Thanks for the update and crazy pictures!

Daphne Nicole & Lynda Cade said...

So glad to hear everyone is oka. I did not know about any of this going on, you just don't even think of tornadoes in January.