Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Decisions and Growing Pains

Put a line of home decor items in front of me and I can tell you exactly what I want in a matter of seconds.  I simply go with my instincts and the decisions are easy.

I wish all business decisions were as simple, such as the difficult decision I’m about to share. After almost 6 happy years, we have decided to give up our space in the Arbors. Our business is very firmly rooted, the new Shoppe is running like gangbusters, and to be frank, the booth is just no longer necessary.

The truth is, we haven't "needed" the booth for a good while. But, the Arbors location holds a special place in my heart; it always will. After all, it is the place where this business officially began. It's also the home for a great many of our close, personal friends. So this has been a long and bittersweet decision for me. No doubt I will miss the Arbors and our friends, however, I will NOT miss the grueling set-up and teardown. Nor will I miss the freezing cold temps in the winter, triple digits in the summer, and the daunting task of loading and unloading trailers. It's just time.

This has been a tough decision for me, although as each of them will quickly share, I am the only one on the crew that struggled with it. Everyone else has been ready for MANY MONTHS! And my hubster is dancing a jig of glee. Not because he dislikes the Arbors, but because he bears the brunt of the booth set-up and tear-down tasks.

This best thing about this decision is that it will allow us to focus 100% of our energy and efforts on the Shoppe.  This is GREAT news for you! For starters, this month you will find an additional 1000 square feet of retail space that we’ve added to the new Shoppe. You will also enjoy extended shopping hours during First Monday weekends. We will now be open for you on Wednesday and will also be open late on Friday and Saturday night. So, although you will no longer find us in the Arbors, you will find even more space, even more products, longer shopping hours, and more staff to help you in the new Shoppe! These are all very good things.

We are super excited about this new, and much less complicated, path for the business! This decision will also give us a lot more time to service the online store which has turned into a full time gig in itself! So, be on the lookout for new products just as soon as the remaining Holiday shows are over!

In fact, just get ready, we have many things and events planned for 2011 in our wonderful new location.  And, the best part is getting to share it all with you!

Now, it’s time to get a little sleep....we open for you tomorrow morning at 10am!!

Our new hours at the Shoppe during First Monday weekends are:

Wednesday 10am – 5pm
Thursday 9am – 6pm
Friday 9am – 8pm
Saturday 9am – 8pm
Sunday 10am – 5pm

xoxo
LaurieAnna

Store address:  1457 N. Trade Days Blvd, Canton, Texas 75103

18 comments:

Vicki V @ blestnest.blogspot.com said...

I'll be stopping into your shoppe on Friday! I really don't care where you are in Canton, just as long as you're there!

Stephanie said...

LA - I knew this was coming. The new Shoppe is fantastic and it seems just perfect for both you and your customers. Your space in The Arbors was always so amazing, but I agree that this a good business decision. Good Luck this weekend!

trash talk said...

I had wondered how you managed to keep up such a dizzy pace. I also know much prayers were sent up before you made this decision and you have to follow the path God has laid out. It's worked beautifully so far. He has so much more planned for you...get ready!
Debbie

Margo said...

I really don't blame you and was wondering when you would come around to this decision. I think it is wise, and you will be so happy with a little less work. I really don't like set up and tear down and don't see how you've done it this long. Your place always looks so great, I could tell you all put a lot of work into it.
Best of luck,
Margo

Daphne Nicole & Lynda Cade said...

Hey Laurie, well you finally did it... I know it was a hard thing for you to do, but now you will have more time to focus on the store and not wear yourself out so much! I will see you tomorrow! hugs~~~ Daphne

Sueann said...

Sounds like a very good decision! It is hard to let go of what is familiar...but you have gained so much more!! Congrats!
Wish I could visit your store...sounds so wonderful!!
Hugs
SueAnn

Lori said...

Great, I am getting to were I dread the trade grounds, all those skooters should be outlawed. Did you see my post on your Christmas Open House?

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

L, I'm so hoping I get a chance to stop by tomorrow. It'll be a quick trip to Canton as I have to then drive another 4 hours to go set up at another show this weekend. If I don't get to see you, I wish you and your crew a great weekend.

Elsie said...

LaurieAnna I don't blame you, but I will miss you in the Arbors, heck you've been there so
long. I know it will be a little less work for
all of y'all. I will see you all Thur. and I
can't wait. I am so glad everything is going
so well. All of y'all work so hard, I sometimes
wonder if people really stop to think of what
all goes into a business like yours. I know it
is a lot of work and you and all of your crew
need a huge pat on the back for all y'all do.
":O)

" SHABBY JUNK" said...

You gave an address but, what is it next to? I am only familiar with the flea market grounds. ~judy~

Vintage Linen Treasures said...

Sounds like you're making a good decision. The time and effort you'll be saving is something that can never be "got back" once it's been used. I always say, "A happy wife is a happy life, but a happy husband is a treasure beyond measure!"
One of these days I'm going to make it up to Canton. I'll be sure to look you up.
Patricia :o)

The Green Pea said...

LaurieAnna, I think you have made a wise decision.
You need to keep the fun in your work. Your husband has been so supportive and the new shoppe is so beautiful. You will both enjoy this new venture of one shoppe stop! I look forward to visiting you next visit to Texas. In the mean time have fun and blog some photos. sandi

Brenda Pruitt said...

I sure felt for you guys Saturday. I got there six minutes after ten a.m., and it was already crazed. When I left, I told my husband (yeah, the one going around knocking over things; thank goodness he didn't break anything. And he didn't say a word when he paid my final bill there!) that you all would be completely frayed by days end! Loved it! And I'll shop there more, as I hate to deal with market days crowds and rarely go. (I haven't a clue why he was so clumsy Saturday. He's a doctor for heavens sake, and his hands are skilled.)
Brenda

Anonymous said...

As my husband and I share a vehicle, and he works early morning until after 6 I cannot tell you how very thrilled I am for the extended hours! What a blessing, I cannot wait to visit for the first time. It's hard to live in Canton with your gorgeous Shop 3 miles away from me! Now I will stop in each month and enjoy myself. Hope to see you this weekend! xo

Unknown said...

I wish I could come see your shop. I know that whatever you do, the result will be beautiful. Best wishes on all the good and new endeavors in your life right now.
Shine.
Mary

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

LaurieAnna, I couldn't be happier for you on the success of the new shop! There have been many changes for you lately and they all seem to be making you happy. Congrats.
xoxo, Sherry

Unknown said...

This is wonderful news...it just means you are settled in :) I'm so happy for you and your crew...to do what you love and bless so many people everyday. You are a treasure in Canton. I'm sending some friends your way. I know they will love it! Wish I could come every month.
Blessings,
Becky C

LaurieAnna's Vintage Home said...

Thank you so much for all the supportive comments. It means so much as this was such a difficult decision. I'm still heartsick about leaving the Arbors, but after the past two days, I know without a doubt that it was the right move for us. Thanks again for all the support!

LaurieAnna