Tuesday, September 13, 2011

We're on a roll!

Things at the Farmhouse are progressing right along.  We picked a room and started playing. 

First room up for a makeover?  The front bedroom. 

We chose it because it already has painted woodwork.

Can you tell we're putting that off as long as possible? :-)

Before we began painting, hubster worked his magic on the windows that haven't been opened for decades.  After a few minutes with a hammer, screw-driver and a crowbar and we had a soft southern breeze blowing through the room along with a ton of light!  Which was just in time, I might add, for all the painting! 

Our arrangment: He fixes the windows and I clean them......no doubt he definitely has the better end of that deal! :-) 

Okay, no glamorous after shots here, but I am pleased as punch with the progress of the room so far and couldn't wait to share it with you. 

As the photos show, the walls in this room were a deep dark burgundy and the ceiling was a shade of dark mustard gold.

I was certain it would take 3 coats of paint or better to cover the dark colors with the much lighter palette, but thanks to a good single coat of quality primer, it only took one coat of paint. 

Tip: When covering a dark color with a lighter color ask the clerk at the paint counter to add a few drops of black to your primer.  I've found that it works even better than tinting the primer to your selected wall color.

BEFORE
AFTER
We gave the wood trim and the upper wooden storage doors a coat of fresh trim paint in a slightly different shade of white.  And, the beadboard ceiling was freshened up with the same color as the walls....I love the fresh simplicity of it!

I ended the day by hanging these sweet farmhouse ruffled drapes from the Shoppe.  Don't pay attention to the wrinkles, an iron hasn't made its way to the Farmhouse yet, but it's soon coming! :-)  The curtain rods will soon be switched out too, but the exisiting ones sure came in handy.

Next up..... furniture.  But, even in its empty state, I find myself staring and smiling from the doorway.

Honestly, these vintage charmers with their great bones don't need much, do they? 

I'm so smitten with our lil Farmhouse on Main. 


29 comments:

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

LaurieAnna~
It looks awesome!! What fun!
Paint just does wonders ~ I totally agree with you that old farmhouses like that don't need a whole lot to make them wonderful!

xoxo
Lori

Tami AKA My Kid's Mom said...

It look great. I absolutely LOVE the floor and the white helps it stand out!

The Tattered Cottage said...

LaurieAnna -
It's looking awesome!! Definitely a change for the better with the new paint color. Looks like a whole different room. Important question??? The new ruffled drapes...you mentioned they are from the Shoppe. Is that your Shoppe, because I clicked on The Shoppe at the top of your page and searched and did not find them. They are exactly what I have been wanting for my farmhouse.Any info on where I can purchase them would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Toni

martinealison said...

Un changement radical... Vraiment réussi.
Gros bisous

LaurieAnna's Vintage Home said...

Hi Toni, yes the drapes are available at my shoppe. They've not been added to our online store yet, are slated for this week. In the meantime shoot me an email at sales@laurieannas.com and I will send you all the details.

Thanks so much for reading!

WhisperWood Cottage said...

Stunning! Makes me want to find a farmhouse with great vintage details to make over! :)

Unknown said...

Wow...I am always amazed at what paint can do to a room! It looks so much brighter...and bigger! It is so fun to watch your progress...keep it up and keep sharing.
Denis

fancynano said...

Is The Farmhous on Main in Canton?

Carol Ann said...

I just found your blog. I love the color used and your ruffled drapes. Can't wait to see more of what you do!

Debra@CommonGround said...

Looks so wonderful, fresh and clean! just perfect!

❁Velma ~Down Our Country Road❁ said...

Lookin' good!! I love the dark wood floors...a wonderful contrast to the lighter color walls. Yes, you're right...the vintage homes do have such good bones. Can't wait to see more :)

Robin Johnson said...

What a difference! I love the pale wall color with the dark floors. The contrast is wonderful.

pipigirl said...

i have to say....quite a transformation. i love it.

Alaina said...

What a change the light color does for the room. Instant update. The colors you chose are perfect. I love the dark floors against the light walls.

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

What a change a coat of paint makes! How lucky you are to have those beadboard ceilings instead of the cracked plaster I'm dealing with. And those storage doors are awesome!

Mary @ Redo 101 said...

Isn't it absolutely amazing what paint can do - wow! Love the ruffle curtains, too. Can't wait to see the room with furniture and your special touches.

Amy Chalmers said...

yes!!!!!! So glad to see the paint on the walls, it is looking so much better like we knew it would. I like to dive right in and get things hung up on rods so it gives a feeling of home...looking forward to more. The porch was great too Laurie.

Chris at Red Gate Farm said...

So much lighter and brighter! I can't believe how high the ceilings are.... I thought my 10 ft ceilings were nice but WOW!

~Chris

PS... love the drapes!

My Grama's Soul said...

You are so right....that home has such good bones!!

Jo

Karen said...

That's interesting what you said about adding a few drops of black to the primer....have NEVER heard this advice before, but apparently it worked. I need to repaint a room with horrible dark dark ivy green...yuk! I enjoyed seeing the difference. I know now, I have to do it soon!!

Pearl said...

I love the change, so crisp and airy, what a big difference! Good choice making it lighter. Keep up the good work were loving watching the changes :)

Fairfield House said...

Laurie Anna,

Sweet simplicity, the ultimate in sophistication! One room down...next!
What paint and color did you use?
I'm smitten with your Farmhouse on Main too.

Your Friend,
Deborah

Heaven's Walk said...

I am TOTALLY smitten, LaurieAnna! What a HUGE difference a coat of white paint makes in a dark, dingy room. I can't believe how much bigger it looks - and so fresh! I can just see you smiling ear to ear... :) So happy for you!

xoxo laurie

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

It looks amazing!
I agree with Laurie...it does look so much bigger!
Keep going...can't wait to see more!

stefanie said...

gorgeous!!!! it looks soooo big and crisp, love it!!! how much fun for you!

Katherines Corner said...

How wonderful, love the new paint! Hugs P.S> I invite you join me at my first ever Thursday Favorites blog hop. Stop by and link up your lovely blog.

Glimpse of My World said...

beautiful!! .

Brenda Pruitt said...

It's so charming! And you can't have enough storage.
Brenda

Angela @ Cottage Magpie said...

OH my gosh, it looks amazing! It just completely changes the whole look of the place. Any chance you'll share the paint colors? They're just perfect.

~Angela~

P.S. Normally I'm not a fan of blog music (I usually have my own music playing and then they mix together... ugh). BUT -- you have such great music! We definitely have the same taste in music!