Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Horse Play

When I was 11, I worked doing various small jobs and chores, saving my money until I had enough to buy a book.  It was the first book that I ever bought for myself and I can still remember how excited I was on the day that I had saved the $9.60 to buy it.  The title of the book.....
“The Big Book of Favorite Horse Stories”.  
It was a big fat book with many stories and I read it cover to cover, over and over again.  My crazy love affair with horses began at an early age and only grew from there. 
Perhaps it’s their beauty and spirit,
perhaps the mix of strength and gentleness,
perhaps because that they are all heart,
whatever it is....
they move me.
  As much as I love horses, oddly I've never done an equestrian themed room before.  Perhaps because I was saving it for the Farmhouse that I knew we would one day have. :-)
 Several months ago I shared a sneak peek of a bedroom reveal with you and then life stepped in and sidetracked things with the blur of the Holiday show season.
Well, I’m back on track and have finally taken some wide photos of the room.  I'll share them with you in the next Farmhouse Friday post.  How about you......are you a fan of all things equestrian?


16 comments:

Ellie's Bungalow said...

Oh Laurie Anna I can't wait to see it!

Blissful Endings said...

OMG I remember that book and I loved it too! How fun to do a horse themed room, I know it will be stunning!

The Vintage Vagablonde said...

oh yes.....
my very first horse at age 40 has thrown me into a frenzy. At 42.....my style has become more cow~girl romantic.

cupcakegirl said...

Yes here too! Love horses and can't wait to see!

Tonya said...

I love horses!!! My husband does not...but I'm working on him. We have 3 kids now, and my nine year old and 2 year old little girls love horses too. We're outnumbering him. :)

martinealison said...

Il fait bon de lire vos bons souvenirs... et d'admirer vos belles photos...
Gros bisous à vous et bonne journée.

Sueann said...

Horses are wonderful creatures and very very smart! My BFF haa two and they are beautiful!
Can't wait to see your room
Hugs
SueAnn

Cindy said...

Will look forward to seeing it, I always love what you do. Sorry I missed you at the DN the other day. Heard you were on the hunt. Wished you would have said something I would have asked CB to cut you a deal on that Postal Unit! :)

hugs!
c

Fairfield House said...

Laurie Anna,

I got my first horse when I was 9 and was a 'barn rat' growing up. I adore horses.

Happy New Year to you and yours.

Your Friend,
Deborah

Anonymous said...

I wanted a horse so bad when I was young...and finally my dad got me a beautiful Black Stallion...I named him King. I won't ever forget him!!

I love Horses, but you know, my 12 year old daughter is so much in love with them, she wants to be a Veterinarian one day, specializing in the care of Equines. Isn't that cool? Oh to be young and full of dreams.

I cannot wait to see your photos Laurie! I love the one with the Framed photos you have on this post...You have a beautiful day. xo

Wild Oak Designs said...

Can't wait to see...I have done horse themed rooms, but alas, just for my daughter, who had the "horse sickness" more than I. She rode in many shows all over California and one in Ohio.....
she took her horse themed room with her when she moved......
Can't wait to see your room....

Karen Sue said...

Can't wait to see the room! I'm nuts about horses and National Velvet was one of my FAVORITE books as a young girl!

miss flibbertigibbet said...

We live right near a business called EquiKids. They are a horse farm for disabled kids.I am a retired nurse practitioner and used to refer kids there for therapy all the time. 10 years ago when we built our home, they were not there. Now, since they moved near, I have the pleasure of driving past the farm all the time. Nothing is more soothing than seeing those horses in the paddock on a softly misted morning. I am hoping to begin volunteering for them so I can enjoy the horses close-up. Horses are a special gift from God...so beautiful.

Kameel huise tussen spore said...

The sport of Kings . . . love your post.

The Victorian Girl said...

When I was about 10 or 11, I went through the biggest "horse crazy" stage. National Velvet was a weekly TV series and that had a big influence. I remember "galloping" around the front yard with crop (a stick!) in hand, jumping over low bushes. Boy did my dad get mad when I knocked a foot off the top of his little magnolia tree! The biggest highlight was taking English riding lessons for my birthday. Of course, I did grow out of it, but today I still love to see horses running free in a pasture. If you haven't seen the movie War Horse, you are missing a big treat.

Kristen said...

I love the show Heartland. I makes you have a new respect and affection for horses.