Friday, November 20, 2009

Small Kitchen ~ Big Surprises!!

The past two months have been dizzying! Between the store, the shipments, preparations for upcoming Holiday shows, and just in case there might be a spare moment between midnight and 3am......we decided to throw a kitchen renovation into the mix! It's been crazy, but that seems to be where we idle!

I've been dying to share this project with you, but needed time to compile the details so you could appreciate the full depth of the changes. The after photos are "pre-decorating" photos. I wanted you to see it before I add decorative accents.
As you will soon see, we made some dramatic changes, but didn't make any changes to the footprint of the kitchen layout nor did we increase the square footage. This kitchen is a mere 9' x 12', but don't underestimate its' small size. Wait until you see what we did with the existing square footage!
*UPDATE*
By request, I've added a copy of the before and after floorplans.
BEFORE
AFTER

We began by "demo"ing the entire kitchen. Starting at 8am on a Saturday morning we were in high gear and by 3pm.....we were all the way down to the wood walls with original cheesecloth wallpaper. I salvaged some pieces of the wallpaper for a later project.

We said goodbye to the old green particle board cabinets.


This is a long post so I have numbered the sections to give some perspective on the before and after shots.______________________________________________________________
1) BEFORE: The original kitchen layout left much to be desired. With only 2 base cabinets and 2 upper cabinets, there was very little storage. These were the only cabinets in the entire kitchen! The 1980s garden window definitely aged the kitchen, but not quite the aging I was seeking.



1) AFTER: We installed new cabinets with glass doors and interior lighting. Under counter lighting is reflected in the metallic backsplash. I found this at Lowe’s and love the vintage feel of old ceiling tiles that it gives! The new plate glass window was a $40 salvage yard find. The taller window height draws the eye up which enlarges the space and looks great with the taller cabinets. It also showcases the beautiful view of the side yard! The 1930s light fixture was a great find.....I found two of them and both are in the new kitchen!
______________________________________________________________

2) BEFORE: The original layout had the bathroom door opening right into the center of the kitchen. Isn't that delicious? Below is a “during” photo that shows the doorway becoming a wall.

2) AFTER: By relocating the door to another wall near the laundry room, we gained enough space for new cabinetry and a dishwasher! The new dishwasher has a faux cabinet door so it disappears into the landscape! I love it!

___________________________________________________________
3) BEFORE: The old green stove was quite unsightly and the fact that the refrigerator would only fit right next to it only magnified the poor design. The only inspiration the old kitchen provided was a desire to memorize telephone numbers for carryout restaurants.




3) AFTER: We kept the sink and stove in essentially the same spots so there was no need to relocate plumbing and electricity. But, electrical outlets were the only thing we didn't change. On the second day into the project I was sitting in the dining room enjoying the sunlight and thought, “this light is exactly what that small kitchen needs”. Then I thought, “why not?“ So, I suggested cutting in a breakfast bar.


Hubby wasn't thrilled at first, namely because we had just finished sheetrocking the walls, but once we cut out the opening he “saw the light” and got on board!


I hung an old architectural piece to give it some character and carried it a step further by supporting the new bar with antique porch corbels.

We opted for a cook top instead of going with a traditional range.
The cook top cabinet offers wonderfully large drawers perfect for pots and pans. So you are probably asking, what happened to the oven and refrigerator? You’ll see…

___________________________________________________________

4) BEFORE: The doorway for the hall to the laundry room didn't offer much of a view from the kitchen. And, right next to the doorway on the wall was a cubby cabinet good for only tiny knick-knacks. The lower shelf proved to be nothing more than a hip bruiser because of it’s proximity to the bedroom doorway.

4) AFTER: I didn't like the view of the utility hall, so we installed a door that I found at the same salvage yard as the plate glass window. It was a scratch and dent….but, hey we love scratch and dent! That dysfunctional cubby cabinet and shelf were replaced by double ovens. How, you ask? We were fortunate to have a utility closet directly behind that very wall that served little purpose (it opened into the laundry room). So, we closed it off and used the closet space to install the new stoves. How’s that for a trade off? Utility closet for double ovens! By the way, the lower oven is a microwave - I love the design of it!

This was my favorite part of this project! My second favorite….the new home for the refrigerator! Read on…
____________________________________________________________

5) BEFORE: The original kitchen layout had a wall between the dining room and bedroom doorways that had absolutely no functionality except to hang pictures because the doorway was right up against the wall. So, we decided to move the doorway away from the wall by 3’ so we could capture that space. I've included a “during” photo so you can see the “original” and “new” placement of the doorway. The new sheetrock that has been pieced in shows the space we gained by moving the doorway.



5) AFTER: By moving the doorway down 3’ (the depth of a refrigerator), we were able to capture the entire 7’ wall as a new home for the refrigerator. We framed it in with cabinetry that offers a tremendous amount of storage! Worth every ounce of energy to move the doorway!

______________________________________________________

I’m very pleased with the design of our new little kitchen that took us a little less than 3 weeks to complete. It may have taken me longer to write this post! I'm eager to get started decorating it! I promise another post over the next couple weeks with the "real" after photos!

This was completely a family DIY project, we didn’t hire out any portion of it. We’ve learned a lot from our past restorations and renovations. The most important lesson we’ve learned……how to make use of hidden and wasted space!

UPDATE!!

Click here to see tons more photos of our completed kitchen renovation
xoxo

LaurieAnna

36 comments:

BeeSwanky said...

Wow - What a great job - of course designed by You. I really miss visiting with you but am a great fan from afar. We too are in the middle of a home redo. I don't know how you find the time. Between the shop and the few "little" shows I've done I can't seem to get it finished. Tell us about your counter tops. Matt wants granite but I am open to a more affordable option. LOVE LOVE LOVE … Bee Blessed!

Glimpse of My World said...

This is fabulous!! I love it all! Does this mean you are selling the big house in Corsicana or is this the weekender for First Monday?

LaurieAnna's Vintage Home said...

Amy, the countertops are butcher block that I aged....MUCH less expensive than granite....a mere fraction of the cost. I love them!

Valerie, yes we're saying goodbye to the Corsicana house. We will build on our acreage sometime next year. During the interim, we are planning to make use of the lil Canton cottage.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

This~is~truly~beautiful!! I love it!!! Love the corbels and the window and the architectural piece!!!

LOVE IT!!!

Can't wait to see more...

Lou Cinda :)

Carrie T said...

I am a frequent reader of your blog that has been a fan for quite some time but never left a comment before. But this makeover just blows me away!! I cant wait to see more of that little house and more photos. We are remodeling an old house ourselves and this is just the inspiration I needed!! We can do it! Thanks so much, Carrie

Classic.....with a twist said...

Words can't express, it's fabulous! What a difference!
Love all of it! Lisa

Marietta said...

What a transformation you have made... It is just perfect...Has the best of best of charm.....

trash talk said...

You scare me with your talent. How do you see in 3D? You created space where there wasn't any to be had. I'm trying hard not to gush, but girl, I am so impressed! I love it!
Debbie

The Green Pea said...

Wow, you are a busy lady. Love, Love, the new kitchen! I looks fabulous. Have a nice weekend. sandi

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

Laurie, you all did a fabulous job, could this be a second full-time job :) I guess only if it pays well, right. You really should be proud of what was accomplished.

Missy said...

Your kitchen reno is DIVINE. I love every inch of it!! Your before, during and after photos are wonderful and are a great inspiration!!

BriarRose said...

Love love love your kitchen. I just have to ask though....where did you find your fabulous sink? It is just what I'm looking for! Thanks,
Debra

Anonymous said...

The kitchen is beautiful and I love the antique corbels and pediment you used. Bravo!

Cathy Cobblestone said...

It's beautiful Laurieanna. Well, I love so many things about it - but I adore the architectural pieces in the pass through and under the shelf - such charm. I have that metal backsplash too - it's wonderful isn't it. Have fun on your decorating journey - since it is you doing it - it will be INCREDIBLE. Congrats on your "Best in Show" - you are so deserving. Try and rest! Cathy

paperjunk-lc said...

I'm so glad you have a place closer to the store and 1st mondays. I sometimes think about you and Willie driving after working all night. And of course it turned out beautifully!

Heather said...

Oh my what a transformation and great use of space. Any chance you could put post a copy of the floor plan so we can see how the kitchen is laid out?

Audra said...

Wow the kitchen looks great! Where did you get the cabinets?

LaurieAnna's Vintage Home said...

Audra and Debra, Cabinets and sink are from Ikea....they had a great sale in October that was advertised on tv!

LaurieAnna's Vintage Home said...

Heather, I've added a photo of the before and after layouts. I should have included that from the beginning...thanks for asking!

Buttercup said...

EXCELLENT job! Beautiful! AND, you expressed the Before & After perfectly - just as it should be. You took the pictures from EXACTLY the same place which makes it much easier to appreciate. Congratulations. Wishing you much ejoyment of your new kitchen!

Ellie's Bungalow said...

Love love love it! All of it!

Jenn said...

Absolutely lovely! Can't wait to see the pictures of it decorated.

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

This is an amazing makeover. You took advantage of every little space. Love love the cut out thru to the DR. Aren't you glad you went for it?

My kitchen is about the size of yours and I'm weighing my options. I've got one less door in mine than you do.
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

Cathy said...

What a great "home makeover"! I am loving everything you and Willy have done!I have one question.......when do ya'll sleep? All I can say is "Home Sweet Home".....I think you need to have an open house when all is finished! Take Care, Cathy "girls gone junkin"

LaurieAnna's Vintage Home said...

Cathy, as Sam Elliott said in Roadhouse, "I'm gonna get all the sleep I need when I'm dead". (: You girls should drop by during First Monday....you know where we are!

Tina....it's your turn to cook! Or, you can just bring some of that killer pimento cheese!

Cindy said...

holy cats!!!! what a beautiful transformation! Love the way the appliances "blend in" and oh.the.light! Fab!!! Can't wait to see your decorative touches!

-c
yapping cat

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I was looking at all the blogs one day - opened yours up and there was the Purple Door!!! I called Jimmy and asked who we sold it to - he said - someone who has a booth in Canton. I said is it Laurie Anna???? THE LAURIE ANNA??? SHE ALSO HAS A STORE!!!! He said - Maybe. It looks BEATIFUL!!! I am so glad someone purchased it that I knew would show love and there is now one better than YOU!!!! I can't wait to see more Pics. You and your husband are VERY Talented!!! I have always loved your store - booth - everything you do!!! God has Blessed you with and Amazing Talent! God Bless! - Lisa Welch

LaurieAnna's Vintage Home said...

Lisa, you are such a cutie patootie! Thank you for those super sweet words, what a nice compliment!

It's been a job girl ....but we're having fun with it! Stop by and see me this month!

Amber. said...

I LOVE your kitchen window. Just one questions - have you been sorry that you can't open it to let fresh air in? We are debating doing a large & lovely window like that, but I really don't know if I can give up the freedom to open up the window :( Please let me know your thoughts on this! Thanks!!

LaurieAnna's Vintage Home said...

Hi Amber, I went back and forth on the same dilemma. I initially wanted a casement rollout window for the kitchen, but the cost for a single window was over $1000. So, we went with the large plate glass and I love it! I have not missed the ability to open the window at all. We open the windows in the dining room and it's perfect. Hope this helps your dilemma, thanks so much for stopping by! Be sure to check out the post of the kitchen decorated.

Brooke said...

truly inspiring!

No name said...

Wow! You're kitchen revamp is amazing and beautiful! Very impressive work! I can only dream of someday being as talented as you in renovations. Those corbels are to die for. It's nearly impossible to find such awesome things like that in Alaska. Your breakfast bar is the most favorite part.

Blessings,
Shanna
www.revampedfrenchmaison.com

No name said...

Wow! You're kitchen revamp is amazing and beautiful! Very impressive work! I can only dream of someday being as talented as you in renovations. Those corbels are to die for. It's nearly impossible to find such awesome things like that in Alaska. Your breakfast bar is the most favorite part.

Blessings,
Shanna
www.revampedfrenchmaison.com

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Simply fabulous. What a ton of work. But what a difference!

Ev Kent said...

Where did you find your butcher block counter top? We recently cut a hole in our kitchen wall and are having a hard time finding butcher block to install as the counter top. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks! Ev Kent

Ev Kent said...

We recently opened up the wall in our kitchen and it is very similar to what you have done here. However, we are having a very hard time finding a butcher block counter top. Any suggestions on places to order would be most helpful! I love your blog. Thank you! Ev Kent