Tuesday, December 06, 2011

He's Home....

My Great Grandpa Fritz has found his place atop the mantle at the Farmhouse on Main.
He was an accomplished pianist and horseman in his youth, just like my grandfather, and later owned a successful mercantile.

Although he passed before I was born, he lived colorfully and vividly through the beautiful memories shared by beloved grandfather.

Wasn't he a handsome lad?

From the bow on his collar,

to the buttons on his boots.
From the the wonderful vintage, chippy frame,

to the aged water stained background,
and most especially,
-
-
-
to his confident little attitude.
I love everything about this large portrait.
But mostly, I love it because my grandfather loved him so.

Welcome home Great Grandpa Fritz.

Aren't these the details that make our homes ours?

13 comments:

Karen said...

This is beautiful. What a sweet tribute to a man so well-loved.
Have a great week.
Karen
Ladybug Creek
P.S. I'm really into family history so I especially love posts such as this one.

joanne said...

Welcome home! I just love this, love the photos from back then with everything so prim and proper. He was quite a handsome lad...how old do you think he was in that pic? Lovely post.

Maura @ Kisiwa Creek Photography said...

I agree LaurieAnna...it's our family treasures such as your photo that makes a house a home. Yes what a handsome young fellow he was! Have fun getting ready for the holidays...Maura :)

Ruby Jean said...

Oh I do Believe I am in LOVE with Great Grandpa Fritz... :) He is ADORABLE Button shoes, Bow and all... Cute Cute Cute...

Sueann said...

What a wonderful tribute!! And that you were so blessed to have your Grandfather share his love with you for his day is really special!!
Gorgeous photo!!
Hugs
SueAnn

Holly said...

A lovely post and a wonderful picture!

Geneva said...

I would fall in love with that photograph even if he weren't a family member... How wonderful that he is your Great Grandfather, and so happy to see his place of honor in your home.

My Grama's Soul said...

YES!!!!!

xo

Jo

Anne Lorys said...

He looks right at home!
What a distinguished little looker!

Hugs to you, my friend!
XOXO,
Anne

summersundays-jw said...

Your blog is quickly becoming my favorite -- & also Pinterest. How lucky you are that it was saved. Jan

Gracefully Vintage said...

I Adore those photos- How lucky you are to have one-and have it be a relative.. Love It.
Karryann

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Just perfect...welcome home!

Anonymous said...

Amazing blog! Do you have any recommendations for aspiring writers? I'm planning to start my own site soon but I'm a little lost on everything. Would you propose starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid option? There are so many choices out there that I'm totally overwhelmed .. Any ideas? Cheers!