Saturday, March 16, 2013

Keeping My Faith

Being a shoppe-owner is a joy, but it certainly has its fair share of challenging decisions.  Some decisions are so easy that the answer just pops right into your head.  While other decisions can take a long period of time to get a feel for what is right.  Through my years, I’ve found that I tend to choose incorrectly when I go against my first instincts.    
Last month we discovered that Easter Sunday falls during the First Monday show.  I must confess that this snuck up on us because in the 8 years since we've been in business, Easter has never fallen during a First Monday show.  Even still, my first instinct was, "we will be closed". 
 
However, recent input suggested we would catch heat for being closed on that Sunday because it was during First Monday.  Others pointed out the obvious, that April is one of our biggest shows of the year and it's foolish to miss the opportunity to sell, particularly since we are only open 4 days per month.  And potential customer disappointment was a big concern for me.

All of the points shared were from intelligent and well meaning minds.  However, none of the points were strong enough to get me past this thought..... we should be closed because it's what my heart and faith know to be right. 

So, I'm keeping my faith

Faith that closing the Shoppe on Easter Sunday is the right and best choice for us and for our business despite that it's First Monday weekend and that others may be open.

Faith that my amazing crew will appreciate being able to spend Easter with their families.

Faith that extending our store hours to 7pm on Friday & Saturday during the show will still allow us to serve our customers.

And faith that our wonderful customers will respect this very personal decision. 

The upcoming show takes place March 28 - 30.  We hope you will stop by for a visit!  You will find the Shoppe open Thursday 9am - 5pm, Fri & Sat 9am - 7pm. 

We look forward to seeing you here!